Monday 25 May 2015

The one with the brand new logo


About a month ago I announced I'd been signed by Realmwalker Publishing Group, a small but rapidly growing publishing house in the U.S. It was a big step for me. I released my first novel in March of 2014 and relinquishing control now is a bit like sending your kids off to school for the first time. Will the bookshops be nice to it? Will it be able to fit in with the cool books from the bigger publishers? What if it gets bullied by a hardback? (I sense I should stop now.)

It's hard to take a step back as well. Right now I can log in and see exactly what sales have been made on a given website. I can change the price, or do promotions any time I like. All of this is about to change, and it's going to take a bit of mental adjustment.

There's a lot of going back and forth with something like this. Legal stuff, discussions over whether the word colour should have a U (it should), and whether tea she belong in Boston harbour (it doesn't). Despite the six hour time difference, these guys been great. I wanted to keep my original covers because Vin had done such a good job with them. RPG have ruined them, of course, by sticking my ugly face on the back, but doesn't that logo look good down there?

                                                                                                             
Click here for a larger image

There's a lot going on in the next few months. Both books should be on shelves by August on both sides of the Atlantic and I'll be at a number of conventions, releasing my inner geek. It's all a little surreal to be honest, thankfully I have a very cool wife to keep me grounded. There's nothing like being sent off to deal with a dirty nappy (diaper) to bring you back to reality.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I've enjoyed both your books so far. I just finished the second and am really looking forward to the 3rd.

    I just wanted to let you know that there seems to be some weirdness with the kindle version I bought. I think somebody sent a word doc with track changes still in them them to the printer. So for example I can see that at one point somebody considered changing Ylsriss's name to Lysis. There are a good few of them though the whole book.

    I'm not complaining btw just wanted to let you know in case you didn't already.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart. I must confess I've not heard that one before. I don't know when you picked up your copy, perhaps it was an edition that was quickly replaced. In any even I've passed your comments along to my publisher. Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the books :)

      Delete
  2. I got it from Amazon UK. If you want more details you can DM me on the twitters @xerxesvargas and I'll more than happily provide.

    ReplyDelete